Repurposed with information from urbanchicken.org
Many chicken keepers swear by organic earth (DE), as it provides a variety of positive benefits for both your flock and your household.
OMRI-certified food chemical codex (FCC) diatomaceous earth:
- Is a natural pest deterrent for your home, your chickens, and other pets.
- It keeps your flock healthy by killing ticks, fleas, and digestive worms.
- It naturally keeps cockroaches and other pests out of your house, and away from your chicken feed containers.
- It can provide your birds with valuable trace minerals.
- It is good in the garden, as it will kill aphids and other pests naturally.
What is it and how does it work?
- Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of Diatoms, which are microscopic one-celled algae.
- It kills bugs and unwanted pests by desiccation, which means it cuts their exoskeleton and dries them out. No nasty chemicals!
How do I use/apply it?
- It’s a very fine powder, so sprinkle it where you need it - in your chicken coop area, behind or under major appliances, sprinkle a perimeter around your house and property, and around chicken feed bins.
For more information on DE for agricultural use, including chickens, click here.