Check out any feed store or farm & ranch store right now to get your dose of cute – baby chicks! It’s pretty darn tempting to bring a few home and become a backyard farmer. Why not? Many chicken keepers swear by organic diatomaceous earth (DE) like EP Minerals’ DEsect® to keep chicks from getting mites. Mites are bad! They chew up the poor little chickens and suck their blood. DEsect to the rescue!
DEsect insecticide is effective against mites in chickens, and it's the perfect bug killer for other home, ranch and farm problems.
Benefits of diatomaceous earth (DE):
- It's an alternative insecticide for your home, your chickens, and other pets
- It keeps your flock insect-free by killing mites, fleas, and other bugs
- Insects can't become immune to its action. It kills the insects by drying out their exoskeletons
Check out this new ProTerra video that demonstrates How to Prevent Mites in Chickens:
- Chickens love DE! Put down some DE, and the chickens will say, “oohhh – bath time!” They can’t get enough of flopping around in a DE dust bath
- It keeps cockroaches and other pests out of your house, and away from your chicken feed containers
- It is good in the garden because of the unique, mechanical way it kills insects
What is it and how does it work?
- Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of diatoms, which are microscopic one-celled algae
- It kills bugs and unwanted pests by desiccation, which means it cuts their exoskeleton and dries them out.
How do you use it?
- It’s a very fine powder, so just sprinkle it where you need it - in your chicken coop area and behind or under major appliances. Try sprinkling a perimeter around your house and property, too. DEsect insecticide is effective and easy to use.
DEsect, the great bug-killing diatomaceous earth insecticide, is available in bags or in small, easy-to-handle jugs.
For large industrial orders of DEsect, please contact EP Minerals. For small home size DEsect packages, please contact Pro-Terra, our online distributor at ProTerra.