Check out any feed store or farm & ranch store right now to get your dose of cute – baby chicks! It’s pretty darn tempting to bring a few home and become a backyard farmer. Why not? Many chicken keepers swear by organic diatomaceous earth (DE) like EP Minerals’ DEsect®. Using diatomaceous earth in the chicken coop provides a variety of positive benefits for both your flock and your household. Thanks to Urban Chicken for some of the pointers in this blog
Benefits of diatomaceous earth (DE):
- It's an organic alternative insecticide for your home, your chickens, and other pets.
- It keeps your flock insect-free by killing mites, fleas, and other bugs.
Chickens love DE! Put down some DE, and the chickens will say, “oohhh – bath time!” They can’t get enough of flopping around in a DE dust bath.
- It keeps cockroaches and other pests out of your house, and away from your chicken feed containers.
- It is good in the garden, as it will kill pests naturally.
What is it and how does it work?
- Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of diatoms, which are microscopic one-celled algae.
- It kills bugs and unwanted pests by desiccation, which means it cuts their exoskeleton and dries them out. No nasty chemicals!
How do you use it?
- It’s a very fine powder, so just sprinkle it where you need it - in your chicken coop area, behind or under major appliances. Try sprinkling a perimeter around your house and property, too. DEsect insecticide is effective and organic.
Now available! DEsect PET, DEsect HG (home & garden) and DEsect LP (for livestock & poultry). It's the same, great bug-killing diatomaceous earth in small, easy-to-handle jugs.
DEsect PET, DEsect HG & DEsect LP
For large industrial orders of DEsect, please contact EP Minerals. For small home size DEsect packages, please contact Pro-Terra, our online distributor at ProTerra.